First, I place a few stones at the base of the vase. Then I pulled apart the carnations which came in a small bunch into separate pieces with stems. The Hydrangea flower was only one big flower but I had to cut the stem down to size for the vase.
Second step was I placed the Hydrangea slightly toward the front of the vase knowing the vase was going to be to the back of my desk. I didn't care what the back of the vase looked like, I was focused on what I would see when sitting down. I poured more of the glass stones in around the stem, still keeping the flower mainly to the front. (To make it easier I transferred them out of their bags into a big plastic measuring cup.)
Third, I then placed the carnation around the bottom to fill in the empty space between the Hydrangea and the vase. Again, I didn't worry about the back. If I planned on having the vase in a different location I would have continued the carnations around the whole vase and kept the Hydrangea in the middle more.
Very simple project. And the total spent was around $12.00.
I'm very happy with the end results. It makes working at my desk more peaceful and happy if that makes sense. Please share any flower crafts you have done below.