December 7, 2017

Countdown To Christmas Project

My daughter, like many kids her age, is waiting on Christmas. I decided to make this simple "countdown" by using blocks (which was in a package of 9) and a small tin from the Dollar Tree. My daughter helped me as well.



Then I went through the paint I had on hand to paint three of the blocks. One to be red and two to be green with white for the numbers. The paint is around $0.50 each I believe at Walmart. 

I painted more coats if needed to make sure the numbers/letters already on the blocks wouldn't be seen. I painted the numbers on later using the end of a sucker stick and sorta making 'dots' but a marker or finer paintbrush would work. You could even find numbered stickers. After they dried,  I coated them with clear top coat nail polish to give them a little shine. (The nail polish was from the Dollar Tree as well but I had it on hand.)


Then on the inside of the tin I printed off a label and used gold duct tape to put it in place along with covering the label in clear wide tape. The red block has the numbers 1,2 and 3 for the start of counting down. Most likely my daughter will start counting down from 30 days next year. (KIDS!) Then the two green blocks had numbers 0-9 on them with one block having numbers 0-5 and the other 6-9.  I couldn't figure out how to do this with just two blocks--my brain was on strike.

The end results isn't perfect but cute and serves its purpose. There was enough room to put the two green blocks in a row. When we are done counting down we just close the tin until next year.
This would make a cute gift for a child whose old enough not to put the blocks in their mouths. It's a simple, cheap project depending on what you have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment